Compact, Lightweight Design
A sophisticated mixture of technologies makes this super-telephoto a relatively sleek lens, opening up new possibilities for a focal length that was previously relegated to tripod/monopod usage.
- Phase Fresnel element not only compensates for chromatic aberrations and color fringing but it also replaces several conventional glass elements to promote a more compact and lightweight optical layout.
- Modest f/6.3 maximum aperture strikes a balance between a practically bright design and a lightweight construction.
- Compared to the former F-mount 800mm f/5.6 lens, which weighs over 10 lb, this new Z-mount 800mm f/6.3 lens is half the weight at 5.25 lb. Additionally, the mirrorless-specific design also contributes to a shorter overall lens length, measuring just over 15" long, compared to the former lens that measures 18"-long.
- Helping to virtually eliminate chromatic aberrations, color fringing, and comatic aberrations, this lens features three ED (extra-low dispersion) glass elements, along with one SR (short-wavelength refractive) element.
- The SR element features a specialized high-dispersion design that refracts wavelengths shorter than blue; this helps achieve truly accurate color rendering and also aids in making the lens design more compact.
- Nano Crystal Coat has been applied for well-rounded anti-glare protection at all angles, helping to suppress ghosting, reflections, and flare for higher contrast and more accurate color response when working in strong lighting and backlit conditions.
Autofocus and Vibration Reduction
- Multi-focus system incorporates two separate AF drive units, which are synchronized, to deliver especially fast and accurate autofocus. This system uses stepping motors, which offer impressively smooth and quiet AF performance that is well-suited to both stills and video applications.
- Full-time manual focus override is also possible and an internal focusing design is used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization reduces the appearance of camera shake by approximately 5 stops to better enable handheld shooting in low-light situations.
- Synchro VR is also supported when paired with compatible cameras featuring sensor-shift VR, which combines in-body VR with optical VR for improved results of up to 5.5 stops of compensation.
Professional Handling and Construction
- Physical design focuses the center of gravity around the tripod mount for smoother, more responsive panning, especially when working atop a tripod or monopod. The tripod mount also rotates for easier switching between vertical and horizontal shooting orientations.
- Compatible with optional Z-Teleconverter TC-1.4x and TC-2x to further extend the reach of this lens.
- Intuitive "no-look" control layout puts all of the frequently-used buttons and dials in easy-to-reach locations to prevent the need to move your eye from the viewfinder.
- Advanced weather sealing includes rubber gaskets to prevent dust and moisture ingress, the lens body is made from durable, lightweight magnesium alloy, and the exposed elements have a fluorine coating that repels dirt and oils and is easier to clean.
- Store a focusing position using the Memory Set button so you can instantly return to this by position by rotating the Fn ring-perfect for capturing fleeting movements.
- Two customizable L-Fn buttons can be set to configure subject tracking, AF lock, image playback, or other modes. The L-Fn2 button is also accessible from four different locations on the barrel for easy reach.
- Focus limiter switch can constrain the focus range to 32.8' to infinity or from the full focusing range of 16.4' to infinity.
- Programmable Control Ring can also be used to control aperture, ISO, or exposure compensation.
- Kensington lock support for securing the lens in place during remote shooting sessions.
- Uses drop-in 46mm filters via the included filter holder.
Nikon NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens
Nikon NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens Q & A