Improving on their Monarch 3 design, and representing the highest magnification within the 42mm series, Nikon's black 12x42 Monarch 5 Binoculars benefit from upgrades to the glass and optical coatings to improve image quality with the same focus on comfort and performance the Monarch line is known for.
Featuring extra-low dispersion glass elements with anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics and highly reflective dielectric-coated and phase-corrected roof prisms, the Monarch 5 produces bright and clear high-contrast images with accurate color rendition and minimal color fringing. Their powerful 12x magnification allows users to make detailed observation of distant subjects, while the generous field of view helps to minimize the appearance of hand shake that is common when holding high-power optics such as this. The 42mm objectives not only boost their light-gathering ability to improve views in challenging light, but also help to offset the dimming that is often associated with observing at long ranges at magnifications over 10x. With the combination of glass, prisms, optical coatings, and a comfortable eye relief, users can enjoy an easy observational experience in most lighting conditions.
Complementing the optical performance are construction details that make these binoculars durable and comfortable to use. They have a lightweight and durable reinforced polycarbonate ATB chassis and is protected by rubberized armor that is accented with indented palm rests to give them a secure nonslip grip. The optical tubes are nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature variations and environmental conditions. A one-piece ocular rainguard covers the eyecups as the binoculars hang around the neck and prevent rain and spraying water from filling them, and the objective lens caps are also tethered to keep them safe from being lost on the forest floor. This version of the Monarch 5 is offered here in subdued black, so they won't draw notice wherever they are used.
- Powerful 12x magnification allows for detailed observation of distant subjects
- 42mm objective lenses improve light-gathering ability and help to offset the dimming of the view that often accompanies high-power optics when viewing at long range
- Roof prism light path ensures optical tubes remain thin for a compact form factor
- Extra low-dispersion glass reduces chromatic and spherical aberrations for increased contrast, improved color rendition, and sharpness without distortion across the entire field of view
- Phase-corrected prism coatings reduce internal interference to improve light transmission, contrast, and resolution
- Anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics maximize light transmission across the entire visible spectrum for accurate color rendition and improved contrast and clarity
- Highly reflective dielectric prism multi-layer coatings boost internal reflection to >99% to maintain image brightness and improve contrast and clarity
- 262' field of view at 1000 yards
Use and Handling
- Closed-bridge configuration provides a solid and stable platform for the internal focusing mechanism
- Large slip center focus wheel allows for precise focus control, even while wearing gloves
- Right eye dioptric adjustment collar helps to compensate for individual eye prescription
- 56-72mm interpupillary distance range allows easy use by a wide variety of people
- Twist-up/click-stop rubber eyecups for use with or without eyewear
- Tripod mountable with optional adapter for hands-free use
- Comfortable 15.1mm eye relief helps to reduce eyestrain and improves viewing comfort
- 3.5mm exit pupil
- Environmentally friendly Eco-Glass is made without lead or arsenic
- Lightweight and durable fiberglass-reinforced polycarbonate chassis
- Chassis material is temperature resistant, preventing the expansion and contraction that is common with metal, which can cause the optical components to move out of alignment over time and prevent sharp focus
- Textured protective rubber armoring provides a slip-resistant grip, especially in cold and wet weather
- Indents on the sides of the optical tubes are ergonomically placed where the hands naturally fall for a more comfortable feel in the hand and a more secure grip
- Nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature changes and environmental conditions
- Black coloring allows it to remain inconspicuous in all environments
- One-piece tethered ocular rainguard protects eyecups from water pooling in them from rain or spraying water when hanging from the neck
- Tethered fold-down objective lens caps prevents losing them during observation sessions
- Weight: 21 ounces
Nikon 12x42 Monarch 5 Binoculars (Black)
Objective Lens Diameter
Angle of View
Field of View
262' @ 1000 yd / 87 m @ 1000 m
Minimum Focus Distance
8.2' / 2.5 m
Exit Pupil Diameter
7.15 x 6.8 x 4.15"
7.15 x 6.8 x 4.15"
Nikon 12x42 Monarch 5 Binoculars (Black) Q & A